- According to the Indian Census 2011, about 13.4 million persons with disabilities are in the age of 15 to 59 years and employable. About 9.9 million persons with disabilities in the employable age group are non-workers or are marginal workers.
- Persons with disabilities are among the poorest in the population.
- Urgent need to scale up the skill-training infrastructure in view of the huge Demand- supply gap.
- The training, being offered through various institutions / mechanisms is non-homogenous, lacks quality and is low on employability.
- Very low access of the present training infrastructure to the PwDs in rural areas.
- Low level of involvement of private sector in the skill training of PwDs
- The skill training offered by various ministries/departments of the Government not appropriately coordinated and overlapping with each other.